Hayes, J.L., Wilson, T. M., Magill, C. (2015). "Tephra fall clean-up in urban environments." Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research. 304:359-377.
- BSc. in Geology and Geography, endorsed in Environmental Sciences, University of Canterbury, 2012
- MSC. in Hazard and Disaster Management, University of Canterbury, 2015
- Specialization Certificate in the Assessment and Management of Geological and Climate Related Risk, Universite de Geneve, 2015
- Ph.D in Disaster Risk and Resilience, University of Canterbury, 2019
2019-present: Research Fellow
- 2014-2019: Research Assistant
- University of Canterbury
- Duties included: quantitative and qualitative research related activities such as literature review, semi-structured interviews, scientific reconnaissance impact assessments, geospatial analysis (ArcGIS, QGIS), statistical analysis, report and journal manuscript writing, teaching of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in geology and disaster risk and resilience.
- 2012-2014: Laboratory Demonstrator
- University of Canterbury
- Duties included: assisting the senior tutor in undergraduate geology laboratories.
Rovins, J.E., Wilson, T.M., Hayes, J., Jensen, S.J., Dohaney, J., Mitchell, J., Johnston, D.M., Davies, A. (2015). "Risk Assessment Handbook." GNS Science Miscellaneous Series. 84 67p.
Hayes, J., Wilson, T.M., Deligne, N.I., Cole, J., Hughes, M. (2017). "A model to assess tephra clean-up requirements in urban environments." Journal of Applied Volcanology. 6(1).
Investigating the consequences of urban volcanism using a scenario approach I: Development and application of a hypothetical eruption in the Auckland Volcanic Field, New Zealand
Deligne, N.I., Fitzgerald, R.H., Blake, D.M., Davies, A.J., Hayes, J.L., Stewart, C., Wilson, G., Wilson, T.M., Castelino, R., Kennedy, B.M., Muspratt, S., Woods, R. (2017). "Investigating the consequences of urban volcanism using a scenario approach I: Development and application of a hypothetical eruption in the Auckland Volcanic Field, New Zealand." Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research. 336:192-208.
Hayes, J.L., Calderon, R., Wilson, T.M., Deligne, N.I., Leonard, G., Jenkins, S.F., Williams, G. (2019). "Timber-framed building damage from tephra fall and lahar: 2015 Calbuco eruption, Chile." Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research. 374:142-159.
Tephra clean-up after the 2015 eruption of Calbuco volcano, Chile: a quantitative geospatial assessment in four communities
Hayes, J.L., Wilson, T.M., Deligne, N.I., Stewart C., Villarosa, G., Salgado, P., Beigt D., Outes, V., Deligne, N.I., Leonard G.S.. (2019). "Tephra clean-up after the 2015 eruption of Calbuco volcano, Chile: a quantitative geospatial assessment in four communities." Journal of Applied Volcanology. 8(7).
Hayes, J.L., Wilson, T.M., Deligne, N.I., Lindsay, J.M., Leonard, G.S., Tsang, S.W.R., Fitzgerald, R.H. (2020). " Developing a suite of multi-hazard volcanic eruption scenarios using an interdisciplinary approach." Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research. 392:106763.
A multi-disciplinary approach to developing a volcanic eruption scenario and temporal evolution of impacts to critical infrastructure
Conference proceedings talk at 1st international Conference on Natural Hazards and Infrastructure, Chania, Greece
Talk at Cities on Volcanoes 9, Puerto Varas, Chile
Embracing deep uncertainties to transparently develop plausible eruption scenarios for volcanic impact and risk assessment
Talk at IAVCEI 2017, Portland, Oregon, USA
Talk at Cities on Volcanoes, Naples, Italy, Cities on Volcanoes, Naples, Italy
Service and leadership
- Session convener - Cities on Volcanoes 10, Naples, Italy
- International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth’s Interior (IAVCEI) – Member
- Volcanic Impacts Study Group, Auckland Lifelines Group – Member
- QuakeCore Emerging Researcher Chapter – Executive board member, events manager (2018-2019)
Honours and awards
- 2019 - UC Foundation Doctoral Publication Scholarship – Total value NZ$1000
- 2017 - Claude McCarthy Fellowship – Total value NZ$3000
- 2015-2019 - Mason Trust Grants - Total value $5000
- 2015 - UC Connect Scholarship - Total value $86,000 over 3 years
- 2015 - Sir Julius von Haast Award for best Hazard and Disaster Management MSc Thesis – Total value NZ$1200
- 2014 - Determining Volcanic Risk in Auckland (DEVORA) Research Scholarship - Total value NZ$10,000